Three 3 get death penalty in fake encounter case
Lucknow: A special CBI court here awarded death sentence to three policemen and life term to five others in a 31-year-old fake encounter case in Gonda district in which 13 persons, including a Deputy Superintendent of Police were killed.
Special CBI judge Rajendra Singh awarded death sentence to the then SHO, Kaudia R B Saroj, head constable Ram Nayak and constable Ram Karan holding them responsible for hatching the conspiracy of murder.
Those who have been awarded life sentence include the then PAC commandant Ramakant Dixit, sub-inspectors Naseem Ahmad, Mangala Singh, Parvez Hussain and Rajendra Prasad Singh.
The court had on March 29 passed the judgement convicting eight policemen and had fixed April 5 to pronounce the quantum of punishment.
DySP and circle officer K P Singh and 12 other people were killed in the fake encounter in Madhopur village in March 1982.
Police initially claimed that Singh was killed by criminals, but his wife Vibha Singh suspected foul play and moved the Supreme Court, which ordered a CBI inquiry.
The CBI filed chargesheet against 19 policemen of which 10 died during the trial.
Later, one policeman Prem Singh was acquitted of the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?