Three cops suspended for beating rape victim in UP
Bijnor: In another shocking incident of mistreatment of alleged rape victim, a girl claimed she was beaten up by police personnel when she had gone to file complaint against two youths.
Three police personnel -- Station Officer Ramji Lal, Sub-Inspector Raj Singh and Lady Constable Sukhraj Kaur -- have been suspended following the incident, police said.
The two rape accused have been arrested, they said.
The action was taken after family members of the girl, who belongs to Rasoolpur village, alleged that instead of registering her complaint, the personnel posted at Afzalgarh police station had beaten her up on April 12, a day after two youths of the same village had allegedly raped her.
This is the second such incident in Uttar Pradesh within 10 days.
A 10-year-old alleged rape victim was put behind bars by women cops in Bulandshahr when she had approached them to file a complaint along with her mother.
The Supreme Court yesterday directed the UP government to file response within a week on detention of the 10-year-old rape victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly