Three days after stampede, Maharaj makes public appearance
Pratapgarh (UP): Three days after a stampede
at his ashram killed 63 people, Kripaluji Maharaj on Sunday made a
brief public appearance as the hermitage announced financial
relief for victims of the tragedy.
Claiming he was ill, Maharaj appeared before mediapersons
but did not answer questions fielded by them.
"I suffered a fracture in my leg and was ill making it
impossible for me to come out in the open," he said.
Maharaj said different stories appearing in the media
forced him to appear in the public despite the fact that he
was not well.
The ashram announced a relief of Rs 1 lakh to each
bereaved family and Rs 50,000 each to the injured.
Ashram spokesman Swami Mukundanand said the hermitage had
provided Rs 1.01 crore to the District Magistrate to be
distributed among victims of the tragedy.
Mukundanand said the ashram would also provide free
education and medical facilities to the children of those
killed in the stampede.
Sixty-three people were killed and over 100 injured in
the crush during a religious feast at the ashram at Mangarh on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway