Three die after consuming hooch in Pratapgarh
Lucknow: Three persons died and another fell
ill after consuming spurious liquor in Pratapgarh district
even as a police officer has been suspended in connection with
the incident, a senior official said here Wednesday.
Sheetala Prasad, Ram Sahai (65), Santosh Kumar (28) and
his brother Jeevan Lal (26) were taken ill after consuming
hooch at Muraini village in Sangipur area late last night,
Additional Director General of Police Brij Lal told reporters.
Sheetala, Santosh and Jeevan -- all Dalit labourers --
died in hospital. Sahai is under treatment, he said.
A preliminary investigation revealed that "Sheetala had
purchased five litres spurious liquor from Raja Chauhan of the
same village," Lal said, adding a case has been registered
against Chauhan and his wife Rani.
The duo, however, was absconding after the incident.
"Incharge of Sangipur police station has been placed
under suspension for laxity and stern action would be taken
against him," the officer said, adding the district magistrate
and superintendent of police have reached the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read