Three die in road mishap, irate villagers block NH-2
Mathura: Three cousins on a motorcycle died when a truck allegedly hit them on National Highway-2 here, following which their relatives blocked the highway for over four hours this morning claiming the "role" of policemen in the deaths.
The three cousins from Chaumuha town -- Mukesh (23), Govinda (24), and Amar Singh (26) -- were returning from Mathura around 9 PM last night when the truck hit their bike, a police officer said, adding that they were rushed to the district hospital where doctors declared them brought dead.
The errant driver, however, managed to flee with his truck, the officer said.
Alleging that policemen deployed for checking vehicles had thrown a club at the bike due to which the youths lost their balance and came under the wheels of the truck, relatives and villagers first gheraoed the police outpost and then blocked the National Highway for over four hours since 10 AM today.
Traffic came to a halt on the busy highway creating inconvenience for commuters, particularly office-goers.
Senior police officials, including SP (City) Omveer Singh, and RLD MLA Tejpal Singh and Samajwadi Party leader Chandan Singh rushed to the spot and requested the agitators to withdraw the blockade.
"Departmental action would be initiated against the erring policemen if found guilty. Efforts will also be made to ensure maximum financial assistance to the families of the victims," SSP Gulab Singh said.
"The families of the deceased would be given Rs 5,20,000 each from the district administration and the Chief Minister would be requested to pay Rs 20 lakh to each family from his discretionary fund," Chandan Singh, the SP`s Lok Sabha nominee from the area, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters