Three engineering students of BHU drown in Ganga
Lucknow: Three engineering students of the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) drowned in the Ganga river in Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district, police said Wednesday.
The B.Tech (Electronics) third year students -- Mihir Jha, Mayank Ahuja and Tarun Kumar -- went on an outing late Tuesday after managing to get out of their hostel on the university campus.
"Preliminary investigations indicate that the three students drowned while bathing near the Ravidas Ghat of the Ganga," police inspector Mohan Verma told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
The three students were inmates of the varsity`s Vishwakarma Hostel. While Jha was a native of Lucknow, Ahuja belonged to Delhi and Kumar to Pune.
Asked how the students managed to leave their hostel late night, Verma said: "We would definitely question the BHU officials in this regard as the hostellers are not allowed to leave the hostel after 10 p.m."
"As per the information gathered by us, the three students managed to get out of the hostel after 11 p.m.," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi