Three engineering students of BHU drown in Ganga
Lucknow: Three engineering students of the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) drowned in the Ganga river in Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district, police said Wednesday.
The B.Tech (Electronics) third year students -- Mihir Jha, Mayank Ahuja and Tarun Kumar -- went on an outing late Tuesday after managing to get out of their hostel on the university campus.
"Preliminary investigations indicate that the three students drowned while bathing near the Ravidas Ghat of the Ganga," police inspector Mohan Verma told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
The three students were inmates of the varsity`s Vishwakarma Hostel. While Jha was a native of Lucknow, Ahuja belonged to Delhi and Kumar to Pune.
Asked how the students managed to leave their hostel late night, Verma said: "We would definitely question the BHU officials in this regard as the hostellers are not allowed to leave the hostel after 10 p.m."
"As per the information gathered by us, the three students managed to get out of the hostel after 11 p.m.," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside