Three engineering students of BHU drown in Ganga
Lucknow: Three engineering students of the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) drowned in the Ganga river in Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district, police said Wednesday.
The B.Tech (Electronics) third year students -- Mihir Jha, Mayank Ahuja and Tarun Kumar -- went on an outing late Tuesday after managing to get out of their hostel on the university campus.
"Preliminary investigations indicate that the three students drowned while bathing near the Ravidas Ghat of the Ganga," police inspector Mohan Verma told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
The three students were inmates of the varsity`s Vishwakarma Hostel. While Jha was a native of Lucknow, Ahuja belonged to Delhi and Kumar to Pune.
Asked how the students managed to leave their hostel late night, Verma said: "We would definitely question the BHU officials in this regard as the hostellers are not allowed to leave the hostel after 10 p.m."
"As per the information gathered by us, the three students managed to get out of the hostel after 11 p.m.," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital