Three engineering students of BHU drown in Ganga
Lucknow: Three engineering students of the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) drowned in the Ganga river in Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district, police said Wednesday.
The B.Tech (Electronics) third year students -- Mihir Jha, Mayank Ahuja and Tarun Kumar -- went on an outing late Tuesday after managing to get out of their hostel on the university campus.
"Preliminary investigations indicate that the three students drowned while bathing near the Ravidas Ghat of the Ganga," police inspector Mohan Verma told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
The three students were inmates of the varsity`s Vishwakarma Hostel. While Jha was a native of Lucknow, Ahuja belonged to Delhi and Kumar to Pune.
Asked how the students managed to leave their hostel late night, Verma said: "We would definitely question the BHU officials in this regard as the hostellers are not allowed to leave the hostel after 10 p.m."
"As per the information gathered by us, the three students managed to get out of the hostel after 11 p.m.," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday