Three engineering students of BHU drown in Ganga
Lucknow: Three engineering students of the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) drowned in the Ganga river in Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district, police said Wednesday.
The B.Tech (Electronics) third year students -- Mihir Jha, Mayank Ahuja and Tarun Kumar -- went on an outing late Tuesday after managing to get out of their hostel on the university campus.
"Preliminary investigations indicate that the three students drowned while bathing near the Ravidas Ghat of the Ganga," police inspector Mohan Verma told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
The three students were inmates of the varsity`s Vishwakarma Hostel. While Jha was a native of Lucknow, Ahuja belonged to Delhi and Kumar to Pune.
Asked how the students managed to leave their hostel late night, Verma said: "We would definitely question the BHU officials in this regard as the hostellers are not allowed to leave the hostel after 10 p.m."
"As per the information gathered by us, the three students managed to get out of the hostel after 11 p.m.," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre