Three held with smack worth Rs 2 cr at Maha Kumbh
Allahabad: Three drug peddlers have been arrested in the city with two kg smack worth about Rs 2 crore which they were trying to smuggle inside the makeshift city of tents where millions of pilgrims, tourists and ascetics are camping for the Maha Kumbh congregation, police said on Monday.
Islam, Vikas Sonkar and Angad was arrested from Shivkuti police station area of the city late last night at a check-post erected on the road leading to the Kumbh Mela area, a police spokesman said.
Accompanied by another accomplice, Sachin, who fled leaving his motorcycle, the trio was carrying the smack in small packets which they had brought from Barabanki district near Lucknow, the spokesman said.
They planned to sell the contraband at the Maha Kumbh attended by a large number of foreigners.
Four motorcycles, including the one left behind by Sachin, have been seized from the arrested persons who have been booked under the relevant sections of Indian Penal Code and Narcotics Act even as a search was on for their absconding accomplice, the police spokesman added.
The Maha Kumbh and the Ardh Kumbh held here every 12 and 6 years respectively, witness a spurt in smuggling of narcotics which is believed to be in great demand among foreigners who attend the congregation in search of spiritual ecstasy.
Besides, presence of large number of ascetics addicted to smoking the chillum leads to a massive demand for illegally transported cannabis, truckloads of which have been seized in the city in the recent past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post