Three precious Ashtdhatu idols recovered
Faizabad (UP): Faizabad Police on Monday claimed to have recovered three precious and ancient idols, which were stolen from Devkaali temple on September 21, after the arrest of four persons in this connection.
The Ashtdhatu idols of Mahakaali, Mahalaxmi and Mahasaraswati were allegedly taken by the four, part of an international gang of idol smugglers, Faizabad District Magistrate Deepak Agrawal and Senior Superintendent of Police Ramit Sharma said.
"After hard work of one month finally we got solid information on Monday morning that idols of Devkaali temple are being transported from Kanpur to Gorakhpur, from where the idols will be smuggled to international market through Nepal. Our team nabbed the gang on Faizabad-Gorakhpur highway," Sharma said.
Karamjeet Maurya, Vijay Narain Pandey, Subhash Kumar Yadav and Jai Pujan Sharma were held, however, three other alleged gang members managed to escape, he said.
The recovered idols have been verified by the chief priest Girija Prasad Pathak of the temple, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends