Tihar inmates donate Rs10.50 lakh for Uttarakhand victims
Gurgaon: Inmates of Delhi`s Tihar Jail, including INLD general secretary Ajay Singh Chautala and murder convict Manu Sharma, collected over Rs 10.50 lakh from fellow prisoners for the victims of the Uttarakhand tragedy, an INLD spokesperson said here Wednesday.
"The campaign was started by INLD general secretary and legislator from Dabwali in Haryana Ajay Chautala, who is in Tihar Jail. He said that the prisoners wantde to help the Uttrakhand victims. After allowed by the jail administration, prisoners came forward to help the victims," said a party spokesperson.
Ajay Chautala and Manu Sharma, son of Congress legislator from Ambala Vinod Sharma, each donated Rs.1 lakh for the victims, the spokesperson added.
While Ajay Chautala is serving a sentence for his involvement in the teachers` recruitment scam, Sharma has been convicted in the Jessica Lal murder case.
Jail officials also donated their one day`s salary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon