Tipu Sultan was a model ruler, says Maulana Saud Alam Qasmi
Aligarh: A good ruler should be identified "not by the size of his chest" but by his capacity "to deliver" justice, service and love to all sections of the society, a Muslim cleric has said.
Tipu Sultan "was a model ruler, because in the dispensation of justice, he never differentiated between different religious and social groups", Maulana Saud Alam Qasmi, Dean at Faculty of Theology, Aligarh Muslim University, said at a seminar on Tipu Sultan here.
"Even if his (Tipu`s) own army personnel was involved in gross violation of law, he never hesitated in delivering instant justice to them," Qasmi said.
Without naming any one, Qasmi said, "Today, we have people who claim to be great rulers, but failed miserably to mete out justice to victims of gross human rights violation that took place in Naroda Patia in Gujarat in 2002 and Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh, last year."
Shakeel Samdani, the convener of the seminar and president of the forum and a senior faculty in the Law Department, AMU, said in today`s political situation, "Tipu Sultan`s principles of good governance has become all the more relevant because the composite culture of India is now under serious threat of those who draw sustenance from a distorted notion of history based on a narrative of hate".
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Happy flying! Air tickets of 1-hour flights could cost just Rs 2,500
- DHSE Kerala HSC (+2) Result 2016: Keralaresults.nic.in Class 12th Plus two Result 2016 Kerala Board is likely to be declared on May 9, 2016
- Time flies! Emraan Hashmi reminisces four years of 'Jannat 2'
- Russia says bolstering forces to counter NATO
- Structural reforms needed to put India on faster growth path