Tirath meets PC, discusses UP teen case
New Delhi: Union Women and Child Development
Minister Krishna Tirath Tuesday discussed the Lakhimpur rape-and
-murder case with Home Minister P Chidambaram and said he has
taken note of many such cases coming to light in recent times.
The Centre wants to amend the definition of rape to make
the law against it more stringent, she told reporters after
the meeting. "A committee is already working on this and after
its report comes, suitable steps will be taken," Tirath said.
She discussed the issue of the alleged rape and murder of
a 14-year-old girl at a police station in Lakhimpur district.
Chidambaram noted that many cases of such nature are coming to
light these days, the minister said.
Terming the Lakhimpur case as a "very serious matter",
Tirath had yesterday accused the state government of being
"insensitive" and said the Centre must intervene.
"I have also written to the National Commission for Women
to probe the matter and after they give a report, action will
be taken accordingly," she had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested