To curb smuggling, UP launches liquor for poor
Noida: To check liquor smuggling, the Uttar Pradesh government on Monday launched a liquor for Rs 25 a quarter for poor.
It will be available only at select outlets at border areas, Excise Department officials said.
"At present, a quarter bottle of country liquor in Uttar Pradesh costs Rs 45. It has 36 per cent liquor content. Poor man in order to buy cheap liquor go to Haryana to buy quarter bottle for Rs 30. It has liquor content of 28 per cent.
"Suppliers, besides providing smuggled liquor also adulterate it to earn extra money which may prove fatal to consumers," District Excise Officer Kuldeep Yadav said.
"Poor do not bother about percentage of alcohol content. Price is the only consideration for them. From April 1, liquor prices have been hiked by 15 per cent.
Country liquor price is hiked by Rs 5 per quarter and it now cost to Rs 50 per quarter. However, with the launch of poor man`s liquor, they don`t have to buy liquor from Haryana. It has liquor content of 25 per cent," he said.
The department hope that the plan will work and liquor smuggling will be reduced considerably, Yadav said.
The outlets are likely to open at Dankaur, Jewar, Jhundpura among others.
- LeEco to launch Made in India phone in its event today?
- Ahead of PM Modi's US visit, USCIRF report says 'intolerance has risen in India'
- Gold price eyes $1,300 again as weaker dollar, fund inflows support
- Kerala law student raped, murdered at home: Read chilling details of post-mortem report here
- On Umar Akmal, Ahmed Shehzad's sacking: Shahid Afridi welcomes PCB's move to give chance to youngsters