To save Taj, UP to develop Agra as solar city: Minister
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government plans to develop Agra as a solar city in order to save the Taj Mahal from pollution, said a minister on Friday.
The proposal for making Agra a solar city was approved by the Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy in 2009 following which Agra Nagar Nigam made a master plan which was approved by the government of India in 2012, Minister for Alternative Energy Sources Vijay Kumar Misra told the Vidhan Sabha.
Misra was replying to a question by Dharampal Singh of BSP. The minister said that a detailed project report (DPR) in this regard was almost ready which would soon be sent to the Union government.
To another question by Mukesh Kumar Srivastava (Congress) the minister said that solar energy policy 2013 is being implemented in the state.
The minister said that a target of generating 500 MW solar energy by 2016-2017 has been fixed.
Meanwhile, BJP staged a walkout in the question hour expressing dissatisfaction over the reply of Food and Civil supplies minister, Raghuraj Pratap Singh for providing foodgrains to the poor not covered under the BPL cards scheme.
The Congress also staged a walkout when they failed to get a satisfactory reply from Singh to their supplementaries on another question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez