Togadia slams Modi for `toilets first, temples later` comment
Allahabad: VHP leader Pravin Togadia on Thursday slammed BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi for his reported statement that constructing toilets should take precedence over building temples.
"We are stunned and shocked to hear about the unnecessary mention of temples by Narendra Modi in a statement wherein he was talking about the need for better sanitation facilities in the country," the VHP international working president said in a statement.
"We too believe in the need for better hygiene. But the way temples were dragged in the matter was uncalled for.
"It is nothing short of an insult to the Hindu society," Togadia said.
"A similar statement was made by Congress leader Jairam Ramesh which had drawn strong condemnation from the BJP.
"We expect the BJP to once again rise to the occasion and condemn the statement made by its own Prime Ministerial candidate," Togadia added.
Build toilets first and temples later, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi said during a function in the national capital yesterday.
Modi said he dared to say so even though his image as a Hindutva leader did not allow him. "I am known to be a Hindutva leader. My image does not permit to say so, but I dare to say. My real thought is-- Pehle shauchalaya, phir devalaya` (temple first, toilet later)," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder