Togadia slams Modi for `toilets first, temples later` comment
Allahabad: VHP leader Pravin Togadia on Thursday slammed BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi for his reported statement that constructing toilets should take precedence over building temples.
"We are stunned and shocked to hear about the unnecessary mention of temples by Narendra Modi in a statement wherein he was talking about the need for better sanitation facilities in the country," the VHP international working president said in a statement.
"We too believe in the need for better hygiene. But the way temples were dragged in the matter was uncalled for.
"It is nothing short of an insult to the Hindu society," Togadia said.
"A similar statement was made by Congress leader Jairam Ramesh which had drawn strong condemnation from the BJP.
"We expect the BJP to once again rise to the occasion and condemn the statement made by its own Prime Ministerial candidate," Togadia added.
Build toilets first and temples later, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi said during a function in the national capital yesterday.
Modi said he dared to say so even though his image as a Hindutva leader did not allow him. "I am known to be a Hindutva leader. My image does not permit to say so, but I dare to say. My real thought is-- Pehle shauchalaya, phir devalaya` (temple first, toilet later)," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy