Toll in hooch tragedy climbs to 35, excise officials suspended
Azamgarh: With 13 more deaths, the toll in the hooch tragedy in several villages of Mubarakpur area on Saturday climbed to 35 even as UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav took serious note of the incident and suspended five excise department officials.
Thirteen people have died since last night after consuming spurious liquor, police said today.
Yesterday, 22 people had died and seven others were taken ill after consuming spurious liquor in several villages of Mubarakpur area, leading to suspension of six policemen.
People in eight villages of Mubarakpur area had consumed country-made liquor after which they were taken ill, Superintendent of Police Arvind Sen had said.
An official spokesman said in Lucknow that the Chief Minister has taken serious note of the incident and suspended five excise department staff, including the district excise officer.
"The Chief Minister has suspended district excise officer Om Prakash Singh, inspector Rajiv Mohan, chief personnel Vijay Kumar Sonker, two personnel Amit Rajbhar and Farhat Ali on charges of laxity," he said.
The spokesman said the Chief Minister has directed that effective check should be maintained on manufacturing, sale and consumption of spurious liquor and regular inspection of the shops should be done.
Station Officer Vishwanath, beat in-charge Rajdev Yadav and four police constables were yesterday suspended on charges of laxity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- Mulayam, Akhilesh scared of me; not allowing Muslim leaders in SP to speak up, alleges Asaduddin Owaisi
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail