Toll in hooch tragedy climbs to 35, excise officials suspended
Azamgarh: With 13 more deaths, the toll in the hooch tragedy in several villages of Mubarakpur area on Saturday climbed to 35 even as UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav took serious note of the incident and suspended five excise department officials.
Thirteen people have died since last night after consuming spurious liquor, police said today.
Yesterday, 22 people had died and seven others were taken ill after consuming spurious liquor in several villages of Mubarakpur area, leading to suspension of six policemen.
People in eight villages of Mubarakpur area had consumed country-made liquor after which they were taken ill, Superintendent of Police Arvind Sen had said.
An official spokesman said in Lucknow that the Chief Minister has taken serious note of the incident and suspended five excise department staff, including the district excise officer.
"The Chief Minister has suspended district excise officer Om Prakash Singh, inspector Rajiv Mohan, chief personnel Vijay Kumar Sonker, two personnel Amit Rajbhar and Farhat Ali on charges of laxity," he said.
The spokesman said the Chief Minister has directed that effective check should be maintained on manufacturing, sale and consumption of spurious liquor and regular inspection of the shops should be done.
Station Officer Vishwanath, beat in-charge Rajdev Yadav and four police constables were yesterday suspended on charges of laxity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez