Traders, BJP activists attack police in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Over 2,000 traders and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists Monday carried out violent protests, attacked policemen and damaged the district magistrate`s vehicle in Uttar Pradesh’s Saharanpur district, demanding action against a government official.
Alleging harassment by Additional Municipal Commissioner Dinesh Chandra, traders and BJP workers hit the streets and carried out protests in front of the Collectorate Office.
Traders and BJP workers alleged that Chandra was unnecessarily targeting the business community in the district in the name of anti-encroachment drive.
According to a protester, a trader died on August 11 after Chandra had a verbal duel with him and threatened him with dire consequences.
The police resorted to baton-charge after traders and activists continued with their protests.
The protesters alleged that at least 12 people were hospitalised after being injured in the police action. However, police said no one was injured in the incident.
"The force was used only after the protesters turned unruly and continued with the violent tactics," District police chief Amit Chandra told reporters in Saharanpur, some 400 km from here.
In the wake of the series of violent protests, additional security has been deployed near the Collectorate and adjoining areas.
"We have initiated the exercise to identify all those who damaged public property and resorted to violence during the protest," said the police chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark