Traders down shutters to support Hazare
Lucknow: Traders in parts of Uttar Pradesh downed their shutters on Saturday to support Anna Hazare whose fast for a strong anti-corruption bill has entered the 12th day, officials said.
Under the banner of Uttar Pradesh Udyog Vyapar Pratinidhi Mandal (UPUVPM) - a state level traders` union - shopkeepers kept their establishments closed.
"While traders in Lucknow, Kanpur, Allahabad and other major cities will keep their shops closed till 2 pm, shopkeepers of Lakhimpur, Sitapur and Mainpuri will observe a daylong shutdown," UPUVPM president SB Mishra told reporters here.
Shops and markets in various localities here, including Aliganj, Vikas Nagar, Jankipuram, Kalyanpur and Khurram Nagar, which normally start operations at 7 am, wore a deserted look following the symbolic protest being observed by the traders.
Some petrol pumps in the city also opened late.
"Most petrol pumps began functioning an hour later to express solidarity with Anna, who is fighting on behalf of all the citizens of the country who want to see a corruption-free India," Uttar Pradesh Petroleum Traders` Association (UPPTA) member BN Shukla told reporters.
Traders in Lucknow will also take out a procession in Hazare`s support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29