Traders down shutters to support Hazare
Lucknow: Traders in parts of Uttar Pradesh downed their shutters on Saturday to support Anna Hazare whose fast for a strong anti-corruption bill has entered the 12th day, officials said.
Under the banner of Uttar Pradesh Udyog Vyapar Pratinidhi Mandal (UPUVPM) - a state level traders` union - shopkeepers kept their establishments closed.
"While traders in Lucknow, Kanpur, Allahabad and other major cities will keep their shops closed till 2 pm, shopkeepers of Lakhimpur, Sitapur and Mainpuri will observe a daylong shutdown," UPUVPM president SB Mishra told reporters here.
Shops and markets in various localities here, including Aliganj, Vikas Nagar, Jankipuram, Kalyanpur and Khurram Nagar, which normally start operations at 7 am, wore a deserted look following the symbolic protest being observed by the traders.
Some petrol pumps in the city also opened late.
"Most petrol pumps began functioning an hour later to express solidarity with Anna, who is fighting on behalf of all the citizens of the country who want to see a corruption-free India," Uttar Pradesh Petroleum Traders` Association (UPPTA) member BN Shukla told reporters.
Traders in Lucknow will also take out a procession in Hazare`s support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price