Trials in gang-rape should be finished in a month: Azam Khan
Varanasi: Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan has said that trial in crimes like gang-rape should be finished within a month and legal action should be taken against witnesses who turn hostile in these cases.
The Uttar Pradesh Urban Development minister yesterday said here that witnesses turning hostile in such cases should be treated at par with the guilty and should be tried by law.
He said police should expeditiously file chargesheets in such cases to enable trials to be completed within a month.
Khan, who was on his way to Varanasi to attend a marriage, said here that lengthy trial in such cases at times could discourage victims from pursuing the case to its completion.
Khan said speedy trials in rape cases ending in quick closure would mean justice for the victims.
Khan also talked about pollution of Varuna river, a tributary of the Ganges and said there are plans to start a beautification drive to clean up the river.
Asserting that conservation of Varuna would serve the mission of saving the Ganges, Khan said that land to an extent of one kilometer on banks of the tributary river would be cleared and beautified.
He said work would soon begin on the sewage treatment plant in the city`s Sathwa area and waste from all 37 drains which opened into the Varuna would be treated.
Khan said UP government at present was focused on the ongoing Maha Kumbh Mela and would take up developmental projects only upon conclusion of the pilgrimage in Allahabad.
He said that urban development funds had also been diverted towards making arrangements for Kumbh Mela and added that although the Centre had promised Rs 500 crore for the event it was yet to make good on its offer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues