Trials in gang-rape should be finished in a month: Azam Khan
Varanasi: Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan has said that trial in crimes like gang-rape should be finished within a month and legal action should be taken against witnesses who turn hostile in these cases.
The Uttar Pradesh Urban Development minister yesterday said here that witnesses turning hostile in such cases should be treated at par with the guilty and should be tried by law.
He said police should expeditiously file chargesheets in such cases to enable trials to be completed within a month.
Khan, who was on his way to Varanasi to attend a marriage, said here that lengthy trial in such cases at times could discourage victims from pursuing the case to its completion.
Khan said speedy trials in rape cases ending in quick closure would mean justice for the victims.
Khan also talked about pollution of Varuna river, a tributary of the Ganges and said there are plans to start a beautification drive to clean up the river.
Asserting that conservation of Varuna would serve the mission of saving the Ganges, Khan said that land to an extent of one kilometer on banks of the tributary river would be cleared and beautified.
He said work would soon begin on the sewage treatment plant in the city`s Sathwa area and waste from all 37 drains which opened into the Varuna would be treated.
Khan said UP government at present was focused on the ongoing Maha Kumbh Mela and would take up developmental projects only upon conclusion of the pilgrimage in Allahabad.
He said that urban development funds had also been diverted towards making arrangements for Kumbh Mela and added that although the Centre had promised Rs 500 crore for the event it was yet to make good on its offer.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal