Trinamool`s Umesh Mishra to contest against Sonia Gandhi in Rae Bareli
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress Wednesday announced its candidates for 18 more Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh and Delhi, including Umesh Mishra for the prestigious Rae Bareli constituency which has been electing Congress chief Sonia Gandhi since 2004.
Mamata Banerjee`s party has now fielded candidates for 104 seats in 17 states.
The Trinamool has named 19 candidates in Uttar Pradesh, including Indira Tiwari - the granddaughter of former chief minister Kamalapati Tripathi - who will be contesting from Varanasi against Bharatiya Janata Party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
In Rae Bareli, considered a pocket borough of the Gandhi family, Trinamool`s Umesh Mishra will take on the Congress president.
The Trinamool, which has claimed it would emerge as the third largest party after the Congress and BJP in the coming polls, has put up candidates in Assam, Manipur, Tripura, Arunachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Sikkim and Maharashtra besides West Bengal.
In Assam, the party`s star candidate is Parvez Ahmed, son of late president Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed, for the Barpeta Lok Sabha seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof