Twelve arrested for poll violence in UP
Muzaffarnagar: Police have arrested 12
persons, including kin of a BSP MP, for allegedly beating up a Presiding Officer and snatching ballot papers from him
following a clash at a polling centre at Jahanpur village in
the district, police said Friday.
One person died yesterday and several others were injured
during the violence that marred the second phase of panchayat election in the district, after which a case was registered against 25 persons, they added.
Among those arrested is Arshad who is brother-in-law
of BSP Member of Parliament Tabusum Begum, he added.
The Deputy Superintendent of Police SK Shukla said here
today that these people were protesting the killing of a
worker in firing between two rival groups yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test