Two die in Yamuna Expressway accident
Mathura: Two labourers were killed when the tractor they were travelling in overturned on the Yamuna Expressway near Mathura, police said Friday.
The incident happened around midnight in Sureer Kotwali area of Mathura district on the Yamuna Expressway.
The tractor, loaded with iron sheets, was returning from Ghaziabad to Mathura when it turned turtle following a tyre burst.
Two labourers Ramji Lal and Lal Singh fell off the tractor and died, while driver Ram Dayal was seriously injured, police said.
Just two days ago, on Aug 29, five people were killed in a similar accident when their truck overturned following a tyre burst. Before that, on Aug 25, a 35-year-old man from Delhi died and a woman and two children from his family were injured in an accident on the expressway.
With incidents of tyre bursting occurring at regular intervals on the 165 km expressway, opened Aug 9, questions are now being raised about the advisability of constructing cemented roads and speed mobility.
"The real test will be during the summer months when the temperature will rise above 40 degrees Celsius," said motorist Sudheir Gupta.
Motorists are being advised to check their tyres before they take to the Yamuna Expressway, at the Kuberpur entry point from Agra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- Crisis in Samajwadi Party: 'Helicopter kya tumhare baap ka hai?' - Why Shivpal Yadav asked this to a man in audience
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption