Two escaped prisoners captured, suspended cops land in jail
Allahabad: Two of the 10 prisoners who had escaped while being taken to a court were caught as four policemen, suspended for dereliction of duty, were sent to jail on Tuesday after a criminal case was registered against them.
"Chand Babu, one of the prisoners, was captured in Kareli area in the city last night. Hours later, Mohd Vais was caught in Khuldabad area," a police spokesman told reporters here.
Sub-Inspector Sanjay Singh and Constables Vijay, Ajay Pandey and Krishnapal Saroj, who were escorting the prisoners, were sent to jail after a criminal case was registered against them, he said.
They were suspended for dereliction of duty by the Senior Superintendent of Police.
The prisoners, lodged in high-security Naini Central Jail on the outskirts of the city, had jumped out of the van and escaped yesterday.
The incident happened while they were being taken to a court in connection with hearing of cases against them.
An intensive hunt was on to capture the remaining eight prisoners, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...