Two farmers attempt self-immolation
Greater Noida: Two farmers tried to immolate themselves in Dadri area of Gautam Budh Nagar district on Wednesday, demanding higher compensation for their land acquired by a private builder.
On Wednesday, around 50 farmers gathered at Hi-Tech city and started protesting, police said, adding that two of them tried self-immolation.
All of them were detained and taken to police station, said Anuj Chaudhary, Dadri Deputy Superintendent of Police.
Later, they were pacified and released, the DSP said, adding that an assurance of a meeting with the builder was given to them.
Claiming that they were given meagre compensation, the farmers were demanding compensation of Rs 50 lakh per bigha.
In view of farmers` threats, adequate police force was deployed at the site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand