Two held in train with cache of firearms
Lucknow: Two men have been arrested with a huge cache of firearms from a train in Uttar Pradesh`s Chandauli district, police said Monday.
Sajid and Shahzad were arrested late Sunday from the New Delhi-bound Vikramshila Express. A total of 11 pistols and 22 magazines were recovered from them during a joint operation by the Uttar Pradesh Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) and the Government Railway Police (GRP).
"Acting on a tip-off that some men were carrying illegal firearms, we conducted a search operation as the train stopped at Mugalsarai railway station. Two men were nabbed," GRP inspector Vimal Singh told reporters in Chandauli, about 300 km from here.
"Preliminary investigations reveal that the two men were involved in illegal firearms trading for the past several years. They used to supply firearms in Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and other states," he said.
According to police, Sajid and Shahzad are residents of Meerut district and work for a Bihar-based racket involved in manufacturing and supply of illegal firearms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says