Two IAF units presented with Presidential Standards
Bareilly: President Pratibha Patil on Tuesday
conferred the `Presidential Standards` to two units of the
Indian Air Force, including the Number 24 Squadron of
Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircraft, in recognition of their
services to the country.
Patil, the Supreme Commander of the armed forces,
presented the `Presidential Standards` to 24 squadron and 111
Helicopter Unit today amid full Air Force regalia in a
ceremonial parade at the Air Force Station.
"This rare honour has been bestowed upon 24 Squadron and
111 Helicopter unit in recognition of the dedicated and
meritorious service rendered by the Units," IAF officials said
Raised in 1962, the 24 Squadron was the first to operate
Su-30MKI aircraft from Leh airfield.
"With the motto of `Navijitya Nivartanam` which means `No
Return Without Conquest` in Sanskrit, the Squadron has won two
Mention-in-Despatches, 13 Vayu Sena Medals and one Vishisht
Seva Medal. It participated in 1962 Indo-China war and the
1971 Indo-Pak war," the officials added.
The 111 Helicopter Unit codenamed as `Snow Tigers`
received the Standard for living up to its motto of `Apatsu
Mitram Friends in Distress` while performing its duty at an
altitude of over 23,000 feet.
Formed in 1963, the Unit saw action during the Indo-Pak
wars in 1965 and 1971.
"The unit has created a world record for the highest
landing by a Cheetah helicopter at an altitude of 23,250 ft.
It had the distinction of receiving unit citations, One Kirti
Chakra, 16 Vayu Sena Medals and three Vishist Seva Medals,"
the officials said.
The 111 Helicopter Unit has been undertaking humanitarian
relief operations and casualty evacuation. The unit choppers
have saved several casualties and stranded mountaineers,
justifying their name as `Snow Tigers`, the IAF officials
The ceremony included fly past by various aircraft
including the Advance Light Helicopter - MK III, Jaguars and
Su-30 MKI in various formations, demonstration by Air Warrior
drill Team and aerobatics by Su-30 MKI.
The ceremony was attended by Uttar Pradesh Governor B L
Joshi, IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal (ACM) N A K Browne and
other senior officials from the force and dignitaries.
The `Presidential Standards` is an honour bestowed upon
military units by their Supreme Commander and it represents
their exceptional service rendered to the nation both during
war and peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Watch: Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in 11 years today!
- 27 flights diverted as bad weather triggers chaos in Delhi Airport
- CHSE Odisha 12th (+2) Arts and Commerce Result 2016 is expected to be declared today on 30th May - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Wow! Indian professionals 'most confident' globally, says a survey
- Here's what Jacqueline Fernandez feels about Salman Khan-Iulia Vantur marriage! Details inside