Two killed, over 10 injured in clash in Mathura
Mathura: Two persons were killed and over 10 injured when members of two communities clashed in Kosi Kalan town here this afternoon over use of water near a place of worship, after which indefinite curfew was imposed.
The clashes claimed two lives, Uttar Pradesh Principal Secretary (Home) RM Srivastava was quoted as saying by state Information Officer Nitin Mishra in Lucknow.
Police said at least two dozen, houses, shops, temporary shops, vehicles were set to fire in the town, about 45 km from here.
The trouble started when a person used water kept near the place of worship and an altercation broke out followed by brickbatting, arson, loot and firing.
"Over 10 persons have been injured. The administration had to impose curfew when a mob took law in its hand," said District Magistrate Sanjai Kumar who is camping in Kosi Kalan along with SSP Dharamveer.
The injured have been hospitalised in Mathura, Agra and Faridabad.
A posse of PAC personnel and police have been deployed at the troubled areas.
Shops and business establishment were closed following the pitched battles in the heart of the city, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble