Two killed, over 10 injured in clash in Mathura
Mathura: Two persons were killed and over 10 injured when members of two communities clashed in Kosi Kalan town here this afternoon over use of water near a place of worship, after which indefinite curfew was imposed.
The clashes claimed two lives, Uttar Pradesh Principal Secretary (Home) RM Srivastava was quoted as saying by state Information Officer Nitin Mishra in Lucknow.
Police said at least two dozen, houses, shops, temporary shops, vehicles were set to fire in the town, about 45 km from here.
The trouble started when a person used water kept near the place of worship and an altercation broke out followed by brickbatting, arson, loot and firing.
"Over 10 persons have been injured. The administration had to impose curfew when a mob took law in its hand," said District Magistrate Sanjai Kumar who is camping in Kosi Kalan along with SSP Dharamveer.
The injured have been hospitalised in Mathura, Agra and Faridabad.
A posse of PAC personnel and police have been deployed at the troubled areas.
Shops and business establishment were closed following the pitched battles in the heart of the city, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress