Two killed, over 10 injured in clash in Mathura
Mathura: Two persons were killed and over 10 injured when members of two communities clashed in Kosi Kalan town here this afternoon over use of water near a place of worship, after which indefinite curfew was imposed.
The clashes claimed two lives, Uttar Pradesh Principal Secretary (Home) RM Srivastava was quoted as saying by state Information Officer Nitin Mishra in Lucknow.
Police said at least two dozen, houses, shops, temporary shops, vehicles were set to fire in the town, about 45 km from here.
The trouble started when a person used water kept near the place of worship and an altercation broke out followed by brickbatting, arson, loot and firing.
"Over 10 persons have been injured. The administration had to impose curfew when a mob took law in its hand," said District Magistrate Sanjai Kumar who is camping in Kosi Kalan along with SSP Dharamveer.
The injured have been hospitalised in Mathura, Agra and Faridabad.
A posse of PAC personnel and police have been deployed at the troubled areas.
Shops and business establishment were closed following the pitched battles in the heart of the city, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Funny video: Squirrel taunts house cat through glass door – Watch
- L&T Finance terminates over 500 employees citing poor performance
- Illegal mining scam: BJP Karnataka president Yeddyurappa becomes teary-eyed in CBI court
- Adorable! This cute baby goes to bed with his best mate dog – Watch video
- Supreme Court to consider NEET exemption applications on Tuesday