Two officials transferred after Mathura riots
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has transferred two senior officials in Mathura following communal riots that left four people dead, an official said.
Mathura District Magistrate (DM) Sanjay Kumar and Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Dharamveer were transferred late Sunday.
According to a government spokesperson, Alok Tiwari has been appointed as the new DM and NR Padmaja is the new SSP of Mathura.
The two officials have been dispatched to the troubled district with clear instructions that the violence must not happen again and that the culprits who sparked it should be brought to book, a home department official told a news agency.
No violence was reported Monday.
Violence broke out last week in Kosi Kalan region of Mathura. While rioters went on rampage for more than eight hours, torching vehicles, business establishments and schools, firing at each other, the police failed to act on time, leading to escalation of violence.
The communal frenzy left four dead and tarred the image of the two-month-old Akhilesh Yadav government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement