Two poachers held with 900 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Two poachers have been arrested with around 900 tortoises in Ambedkar Nagar in Uttar Pradesh, police said on Monday.
The two poachers, aged around 30 years, were nabbed on Sunday from Ibrahimpur area and sacks full of tortoises seized from their Tata Sumo.
"Of the two men arrested, one is from West Bengal while the other belongs to Uttar Pradesh. Preliminary investigations indicate that the two were supposed to hand over the tortoises to their clients in West Bengal," police inspector RS Verma told reporters in Ambedkar Nagar, some 200 km from Lucknow.
"We are yet to ascertain the place where from the two brought the tortoises. They are giving contradictory statements in this regard," he said.
According to police, most of the tortoises recovered from the duo`s possession were alive.
"They have been handed over to the forest officials," said Verma.
India has banned the trade of tortoises under the 1972 Wildlife Protection Act but the huge premium and lax laws are increasingly luring poachers to the trade.
Tortoises are killed for their meat and are used in the preparation of some medicines, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof