Two poachers held with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Two poachers who operated in several states have been arrested with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh`s Bahraich district, police said Saturday.
The two men in their mid-30s were nabbed late Friday from Risia area during a joint operation carried out by the Special Operations Group (SOG) and the district police but two of their aides managed to escape.
"Two leopard skins were recovered from the bag seized from the two men," police Inspector KD Singh told reporters Saturday in Bahraich, some 130 km from Lucknow.
"We have learnt that their accomplices, who managed to escape during the operation, also had leopard skins. Efforts are on to nab them on the basis of inputs provided by those arrested," he added.
According to police, the two were involved with a Nepal-based poaching racket and had their clients in Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
"We are yet to ascertain where the leopards were killed. The two are giving contradictory statements about it. But they told us that they were going to hand over the skins to their gang members in Nepal," said Singh.
Killing a leopard is a serious offence as per the Indian Wildlife Act. The offenders can get three to seven years rigorous imprisonment if found guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA