Two policemen among 7 injured in clash over death of Mathura farmer
Mathura (UP): At least seven persons, including two policemen, were injured today when a mob agitated over the death of a farmer attacked a police station at Shergarh village, 48 kms from here.
Earlier reports said that Babu (22) was killed in the attack, however, SSP Pradeep Yadav said he was seriously injured and was being treated in a hospital.
The clash erupted after a farmer, who had entered into an argument with some policemen, was allegedly pulled down by them from the tractor he was driving, sources said.
In the melee, Jitu (18) allegedly fell and later died of injuries.
Infuriated over the death of Jitu, villagers attacked the Shergarh police station, sources said.
Seven persons, including an SHO and a policeman, were injured in the firing and stone-pelting.
"In spite of firing from the public, police maintained utmost restrain and there was no firing from the police. The situation is well within control," said Yadav, who was the first to reach the spot.
The mob also set three police motorcycles on fire.
Later, seven police personnel, including the SHO, were placed under suspension for their alleged failure to handle the situation.
"Station in-charge of Shergarh, Sanjeev Kumar Chauhan, SI SP Singh and five constables are suspended while strict orders are issued to identify those demanding money from the farmers and arrest them as it is a matter of corruption," a senior police officer said.
"Seven policemen including SHO have been suspended," said Inspector General of Police Ashutosh Pandey after visiting the strife-torn area.
A case of murder and attempt to murder was also registered against four policemen and five villagers, he said.
The UP government announced a financial assistance of Rs five lakh to the family members of the person killed and Rs 50,000 to seriously injured, an official spokesman said here.
He said that a magisterial probe has been ordered into the incident, besides directives have been issued to take stern action against the guilty policemen.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know