Two policemen among 7 injured in clash over death of Mathura farmer
Mathura (UP): At least seven persons, including two policemen, were injured today when a mob agitated over the death of a farmer attacked a police station at Shergarh village, 48 kms from here.
Earlier reports said that Babu (22) was killed in the attack, however, SSP Pradeep Yadav said he was seriously injured and was being treated in a hospital.
The clash erupted after a farmer, who had entered into an argument with some policemen, was allegedly pulled down by them from the tractor he was driving, sources said.
In the melee, Jitu (18) allegedly fell and later died of injuries.
Infuriated over the death of Jitu, villagers attacked the Shergarh police station, sources said.
Seven persons, including an SHO and a policeman, were injured in the firing and stone-pelting.
"In spite of firing from the public, police maintained utmost restrain and there was no firing from the police. The situation is well within control," said Yadav, who was the first to reach the spot.
The mob also set three police motorcycles on fire.
Later, seven police personnel, including the SHO, were placed under suspension for their alleged failure to handle the situation.
"Station in-charge of Shergarh, Sanjeev Kumar Chauhan, SI SP Singh and five constables are suspended while strict orders are issued to identify those demanding money from the farmers and arrest them as it is a matter of corruption," a senior police officer said.
"Seven policemen including SHO have been suspended," said Inspector General of Police Ashutosh Pandey after visiting the strife-torn area.
A case of murder and attempt to murder was also registered against four policemen and five villagers, he said.
The UP government announced a financial assistance of Rs five lakh to the family members of the person killed and Rs 50,000 to seriously injured, an official spokesman said here.
He said that a magisterial probe has been ordered into the incident, besides directives have been issued to take stern action against the guilty policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information