UIDAI data centre hacking not ruled out
Ranchi: The Unique Identification
Authority of India (UIDAI) on Friday did not rule out the
possibility of hacking of its data centre and suggested that
security should be put in place.
"(As far as) data centre hacking, we have to be alert.
Securities have to be put in place to ensure that data is not
accessed in any unauthorized manner," Director General of
UIDAI RS Sharma while replying to a query on whether there
was any threat from hackers.
It was the world`s largest biometric data base and was
the most impressive project in terms of data complexities and
other parameters, he told reporters here.
Sharma, however, said no one could know the identity
of persons from Aadhaar numbers as they were random numbers,
and identify could not be ascertained.
The UIDAI`s mandate is to issue every resident a
unique identification number named Aadhaar linked to the
resident`s demographic and biometric information, which they
can use to identify themselves anywhere in India, and to
access a host of benefits and services.
Asserting that the UIDAI was on the right pace in
generating Aadhaar numbers, he said 20 crore people were
enrolled since the launch of the project on September 29 last
Aadhaar numbers were being generated at the rate of
one million per day, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional