Uma Bharti stopped from going to Muzaffarnagar, taken into custody
Zee Media Bureau
Muzaffarnagar: BJP leader Uma Bharti was stopped on Tuesday from going to the riot-hit areas and taken into custody.
More than 45 people have been killed in the violence which erupted in the district between two communities. And around 40,000 people have taken refuge in more than 30 relief camps set up in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, who visited Muzaffarnagar on Sunday yesterday, was greeted with black flags and slogan shouting by angry villagers.
The incident was sparked off when an alleged case of sexual harassment led to three youth being killed in Kawaal village on August 27.
A `mahapanchayat` or gathering of village councils was held a few days later, which led to communal clashes in Muzaffarnagar and nearby areas, forcing the government to call in the Army to control the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch