Uma Bharti stopped from going to Muzaffarnagar, taken into custody
Zee Media Bureau
Muzaffarnagar: BJP leader Uma Bharti was stopped on Tuesday from going to the riot-hit areas and taken into custody.
More than 45 people have been killed in the violence which erupted in the district between two communities. And around 40,000 people have taken refuge in more than 30 relief camps set up in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, who visited Muzaffarnagar on Sunday yesterday, was greeted with black flags and slogan shouting by angry villagers.
The incident was sparked off when an alleged case of sexual harassment led to three youth being killed in Kawaal village on August 27.
A `mahapanchayat` or gathering of village councils was held a few days later, which led to communal clashes in Muzaffarnagar and nearby areas, forcing the government to call in the Army to control the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city