Undertrial offers liquor to cop, escapes from custody
Kanpur: An undertrial allegedly escaped from custody after offering liquor to a policeman who was escorting him to court, police said on Friday.
Sushil Srivastava, lodged under the Gangster Act, yesterday offered liquor to policeman Virendra Singh and when he became inebriated, the accused fled, police said.
Singh was later found lying unconscious near an advocate`s chamber, they said.
Giving details of the incident, police said Srivastava was yesterday scheduled to depose before a court here.
He was brought from jail to the court prison, they said, adding that from there, instead of being taken to court, policeman Singh took Srivastava and another prisoner Kumar to some other place, where they drank liquor, they said.
When Singh and Kumar got inebriated, Srivastava cut the ropes binding his hands and fled from the spot, police said.
In the evening, when head count of prisoners was taken, two inmates were found missing, they said.
A manhunt was launched, during which Singh and Kumar were found lying drunk near an advocate`s chamber, they said.
A case of negligence of duty has been lodged against Singh, while Srivastava has been booked for fleeing from judicial custody.
Investigations are on to nab the absconding accused, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark