Unemployed BTech, BPharma graduates to be primary teachers
Kanpur: Driven by unemployment, B.Tech and B.Pharma graduates have enrolled themselves for primary teachers training to get jobs in schools in rural areas of Uttar Pradesh.
Of the 300 students who have been selected for the teachers` training course at the District Institute of Educational Training (DIET) here, 35 have degrees in
B.Tech, three in B.Pharma, two are Biotech graduates, while one has a degree to practice dentistry.
Ishtiyak Ahmed, Principal of DIET, told PTI that about 40,000 students had applied this year for the 350 seats available at the institute for the course.
"Though the minimum qualification was a simple graduation, several applicants with degrees such as B.Tech, B.Pharma and BDS turned up," he said.
"Usually the applicants have qualifications such as B.Com and B.A. and most of them are women. But this time, perhaps owing to unemployment, both male and female students
with higher qualifications have applied for the course," he said.
Ahmed said overqualified applicants might have thought that they would get a guaranteed government job in a primary school with a starting salary of Rs 18,000 per month.
When an applicant, who declined to reveal his name, was asked why he wanted to teach in a village school despite holding a B.Tech degree with good marks, he replied that he
needed a job to pay back the education loan he had taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened