Unemployed BTech, BPharma graduates to be primary teachers
Kanpur: Driven by unemployment, B.Tech and B.Pharma graduates have enrolled themselves for primary teachers training to get jobs in schools in rural areas of Uttar Pradesh.
Of the 300 students who have been selected for the teachers` training course at the District Institute of Educational Training (DIET) here, 35 have degrees in
B.Tech, three in B.Pharma, two are Biotech graduates, while one has a degree to practice dentistry.
Ishtiyak Ahmed, Principal of DIET, told PTI that about 40,000 students had applied this year for the 350 seats available at the institute for the course.
"Though the minimum qualification was a simple graduation, several applicants with degrees such as B.Tech, B.Pharma and BDS turned up," he said.
"Usually the applicants have qualifications such as B.Com and B.A. and most of them are women. But this time, perhaps owing to unemployment, both male and female students
with higher qualifications have applied for the course," he said.
Ahmed said overqualified applicants might have thought that they would get a guaranteed government job in a primary school with a starting salary of Rs 18,000 per month.
When an applicant, who declined to reveal his name, was asked why he wanted to teach in a village school despite holding a B.Tech degree with good marks, he replied that he
needed a job to pay back the education loan he had taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing