UP: 20 pilgrims killed as bus collides with truck
Bahraich: At least 20 pilgrims heading towards Ajmer were Friday night feared to have charred to death as a bus carrying them collided with a truck and burst into flames at Kotwali Dehat police station of the district, police sources here said.
The bus carrying the pilgrims from Ambedkar Nagar to Ajmer Sharif met with the head-on collision with the truck on Gonda-Bahraich road near Chilwaria village and caught fire at around 2230 hours.
Chief Development Officer of the district Sukhlal Bharti said 44 passengers of the 54-seater bus, that was carrying 60-70 people, were rescued.
Some pilgrims managed to get out of the bus, said the sources.
Over a dozen pilgrims were taken to hospital.
Rescuers, using gas-cutters, were trying to cut open the twisted metal of the bus to pull out bodies or possible survivors from inside the vehicle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY