UP adopts national policy for senior citizens
Lucknow: To ensure the dignity of elderly people, the UP government has adopted the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act which gives legal rights to senior citizens for seeking maintenance from their kin.
"The government has adopted the act under which parents and senior citizens have been given legal right of maintenance," said Samajwadi Party spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary.
As per the `Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007`, children of a senior citizen have the obligation to maintain a senior citizen so that they could lead "normal life".
If the elderly person is childless, the onus for his maintenance will lie on the relative who is in possession of his property or who would inherit his property. The maximum monthly allowance will be specified by state government.
Under the act, provision of constituting a maintenance authority under the chairmanship of sub-divisional magistrate has been made, Chaudhary said.
He said under the Act parents and senior citizens would have the right to get maintenance of maximum Rs 10,000 per month and district welfare officer would be nominated as maintenance officer.
The spokesman said along with the setting up of old age homes, medical services would be provided to senior citizens in the hospitals on priority.
He said that the government has launched Rani Laxmibai pension scheme in which people living below poverty line would get a monthly pension of Rs 400 payable in two half yearly installments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...