UP announces compensation to Mujahid`s kin
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Sunday announced a compensation of Rs 6 lakh for the kin of terror suspect Khalid Mujahid, who died in police custody May 18.
The state government also said that it would ensure "justice" in the case of Mujahid, who was an accused in serial blasts that had rocked Lucknow and Faizabad courts in November 2007.
"A financial assistance of Rs 6 lakh has been sanctioned for the family of Mujahid. The government will ensure that justice is meted out," a government spokesman said.
He said that though on demands of family members of Mujahid, a CBI probe has been ordered, the state government too is conducting an inquiry into the matter.
While a high-level committee of Secretary (Home) Rakesh and ADG, Power Corporation Javed Akhtar is conducting an inquiry into the incident, Chief Judicial Magistrate, Faizabad is also conducting judicial inquiry into the incident.
The spokesman said that the post mortem of Mujahid was conducted by a panel of five doctors, including two from the Muslim community, and all the necessary steps have been initiated on the matter.
The spokesman also said that the state government has also appealed against the Barabanki district court verdict, which had dismissed its request to withdraw cases against alleged terrorists Tariq Qasmi and Khalid Mujahid.
Mujahid died on May 18 in Barabanki while being escorted to Lucknow jail after a hearing.
He was being brought back to Lucknow jail after hearing in a Faizabad court.
The accused fell sick and fainted near Barabanki border and was rushed to district hospital where doctors declared him dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog