UP announces relief for kin of two jawans killed in Sudan
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Thursday announced financial assistance of Rs 20 lakh each to the family members of two peacekeepers from the state killed during a UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan.
"The CM has announced financial assistance to families of hawaldar Heeralal from Bulandshahr and nayab subedar Shiv Kumar Pal hailing from Pratapgarh district," an official spokesman said here.
Condemning the incident, Akhilesh expressed his grief and said that he prayed for the peace of the departed souls.
Five Indian Army personnel, including a Lt Colonel, were killed on Tuesday when their 32-member convoy came under attack in Gurmuck in the volatile state of Jonglei, South Sudan. Four others were injured in the attack.
There are around 2,200 Indian Army personnel comprising two battalions, one based in Jonglei and the other in Malakkal, Upper Nile, on the border with Sudan.
Since South Sudan got independence in July 2011, it has witnessed ethnic strife, with Pibor county, the main base of UN peacekeeping force, being the centre of much of the violence. India is a major contributor to UN peacekeeping forces around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya
- Nandita Das is a capable director: Nawazuddin Siddiqui