UP announces relief for kin of two jawans killed in Sudan
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Thursday announced financial assistance of Rs 20 lakh each to the family members of two peacekeepers from the state killed during a UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan.
"The CM has announced financial assistance to families of hawaldar Heeralal from Bulandshahr and nayab subedar Shiv Kumar Pal hailing from Pratapgarh district," an official spokesman said here.
Condemning the incident, Akhilesh expressed his grief and said that he prayed for the peace of the departed souls.
Five Indian Army personnel, including a Lt Colonel, were killed on Tuesday when their 32-member convoy came under attack in Gurmuck in the volatile state of Jonglei, South Sudan. Four others were injured in the attack.
There are around 2,200 Indian Army personnel comprising two battalions, one based in Jonglei and the other in Malakkal, Upper Nile, on the border with Sudan.
Since South Sudan got independence in July 2011, it has witnessed ethnic strife, with Pibor county, the main base of UN peacekeeping force, being the centre of much of the violence. India is a major contributor to UN peacekeeping forces around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why