UP announces Rs 20 lakh each for soldiers` families
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government Thursday announced an ex-gratia amount of Rs 20 lakh each to the families of two of the five Indian soldiers killed in South Sudan.
Hawaldar Hira Lal and Naib Subedar Shiv Kumar Pal were from Uttar Pradesh. Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav expressed his condolences to their families.
The two lost their lives in an ambush in South Sudan where they were part of a UN peacekeeping mission.
Earlier, the mortal remains of Pal, who hailed from Pratapgarh, arrived here by a special flight and was received by Army and civil administration officials.
Pal is survived by his aged parents, wife Madhu, who works for the National Commission for Women (NCW), and has two children.
Hawaldar Hira Lal belonged to Bulandshahr.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet