UP announces Rs 20 lakh each for soldiers` families
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government Thursday announced an ex-gratia amount of Rs 20 lakh each to the families of two of the five Indian soldiers killed in South Sudan.
Hawaldar Hira Lal and Naib Subedar Shiv Kumar Pal were from Uttar Pradesh. Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav expressed his condolences to their families.
The two lost their lives in an ambush in South Sudan where they were part of a UN peacekeeping mission.
Earlier, the mortal remains of Pal, who hailed from Pratapgarh, arrived here by a special flight and was received by Army and civil administration officials.
Pal is survived by his aged parents, wife Madhu, who works for the National Commission for Women (NCW), and has two children.
Hawaldar Hira Lal belonged to Bulandshahr.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step