UP approves 2,000-MW Bargarh power plant
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has in-principle decided to set up a 2,000 mega watt thermal power project in Bargarh region of the state, official sources said here on Friday.
"A proposal to this effect was discussed during a meeting of the Energy Task Force chaired by chief secretary Atul Kumar Gupta yesterday and in principle it was decided to
set up a 2,000 MW plant in Bargarh area of Chitrakoot," they said.
It has been planned that the project would be set up either by state utility UP Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam or by a private player.
Initially, the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) had proposed to set up a 4,000 MW plant in Bargarh at an investment of Rs 24,000 crore, but the project ran into
rough weather following differences with the state government over certain issues.
NTPC officials had alleged that the state was not willing to make land and water available for the project.
"UP wants 100 percent of the power generated by the project, but under the rules not more than 50 per cent of the power can be supplied to the state where the plant is
situated," NTPC`s regional executive director IB Pandey said last month.
He said that NTPC may set up the plant in Madhya Pradesh where the government was ready to provide land and water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!