UP asks vigilance dept to register case against ex-BSP minister
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has directed the vigilance department to register a case against former BSP minister Rakeshdhar Tripathi for allegedly owning assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
The vigilance, after completing its preliminary inquiry, had sought permission from the UP government to lodge an FIR against Tripathi.
"The vigilance, which had held an open probe against the BSP leader, had sought permission in this regard," Secretary Home Rakesh said.
Tripathi, who was higher education minister in the BSP government, was facing inquiry from the vigilance following allegations that he possessed assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
Last month Tripathi had moved the Allahabad High Court challenging the vigilance probe but his plea was trashed.
Tripathi had also sought stay on his arrest in the eventuality of an FIR being registered against him following the Vigilance probe.
A division bench had rejected Tripathi`s plea saying there was no ground for the court to intervene in the matter at this stage.
Tripathi is a Lok Sabha candidate of BSP from Mirzapur constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened