UP Assembly adjourned following uproar by SP members
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh Assembly was
Monday adjourned during Question Hour following uproar by Samajwadi Party members, who demanded a debate on a bill that proposes indirect elections for mayors and chairmen of urban local bodies.
Fearing that the Uttar Pardesh Urban Local Self
Government Bill could encourage horse trading and dominance of
money and muscle power in the urban local bodies, SP members
wanted suspension of the Question Hour and immediate
discussion on the proposed legislation.
As soon as the House met for the day, SP leader Ambika
Chowdhury stood up and demanded a debate on the bill which he
described as a measure aimed at "finishing democracy" in local
He was supported by party leader Azam Khan, who too demanded immediate discussion.
Though Speaker Sukhdeo Rajbhar said he was ready to
take up the matter during Zero Hour, adamant SP members jumped
into the well raising slogans against Mayawati government
leading to the adjournment of the House for 40 minutes.
As the SP members stayed put in the well, the entire
Question Hour was a wash out.
Speaking to reporters later, BJP leader Om Prakash
Singh said the SP had broken Opposition unity for personal
"We are also against passage of the bill. BJP is
holding demonstrations at all district headquarters today to
register its protest. SP should have acted united," he said.
The bill, tabled on February 14, proposes indirect
elections for mayors and chairmen of urban local bodies,
including municipal corporations, nagar palika parishad and
panchayats by its members instead of direct elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- F-16 to boost precision strike capability in anti-terror operations: Pakistan
- UN Security Council readies North Korea missile test reply
- US Vice President Joe Biden on surprise visit to Iraq
- Panama papers scandal: Russia to join global fight against tax evasion
- 7.0-magnitude earthquake hits Vanuatu, tsunami warning issued: USGS