UP Assembly adjourned following uproar by SP members
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh Assembly was
Monday adjourned during Question Hour following uproar by Samajwadi Party members, who demanded a debate on a bill that proposes indirect elections for mayors and chairmen of urban local bodies.
Fearing that the Uttar Pardesh Urban Local Self
Government Bill could encourage horse trading and dominance of
money and muscle power in the urban local bodies, SP members
wanted suspension of the Question Hour and immediate
discussion on the proposed legislation.
As soon as the House met for the day, SP leader Ambika
Chowdhury stood up and demanded a debate on the bill which he
described as a measure aimed at "finishing democracy" in local
He was supported by party leader Azam Khan, who too demanded immediate discussion.
Though Speaker Sukhdeo Rajbhar said he was ready to
take up the matter during Zero Hour, adamant SP members jumped
into the well raising slogans against Mayawati government
leading to the adjournment of the House for 40 minutes.
As the SP members stayed put in the well, the entire
Question Hour was a wash out.
Speaking to reporters later, BJP leader Om Prakash
Singh said the SP had broken Opposition unity for personal
"We are also against passage of the bill. BJP is
holding demonstrations at all district headquarters today to
register its protest. SP should have acted united," he said.
The bill, tabled on February 14, proposes indirect
elections for mayors and chairmen of urban local bodies,
including municipal corporations, nagar palika parishad and
panchayats by its members instead of direct elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- His LS constituency flooded, PM Modi deputes MP for help
- Cricket reforms: BCCI submits Compliance Report to Supreme Court-appointed Justice RM Lodha panel
- Hours-long attack on Kabul American university kills sixteen
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: Kuldeep's Yadav guile puts India Red in driver's seat
- How does smoke effect clouds in terms of climate? NASA flies to Africa to find out!