UP Assembly adjourned over minister`s remark on Ambedkar
Lucknow: Taking strong exception to a SP minister`s remark on Bhimrao Ambedkar, the BSP members on Thursday raised slogans in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly leading to half-an-hour adjournment of the House.
During debate on the 2013-2014 budget, Rural Engineering Minister Rajendra Singh Rana made a reference to Ambedkar which was objected to by BSP members who raised slogans and sat on dharna in the well of the House.
Though Speaker Mata Prasad Pandey assured that the "objectionable" remarks on Ambedkar would be expunged from the proceedings, BSP members continued their dharna following which the House was adjourned for five minutes which was later extended to half-an-hour.
The BSP continued their protest after the House reassembled. BSP`s Swami Prasad Maurya, who is also the leader of opposition in the state Assembly, demanded that Rana should withdraw his remarks and tender an apology but the minister refused to do so.
Rana said he had no intention to show disrespect to Ambedkar, whom he himself holds in high esteem. He said Ambedkar belonged to the entire country and not to any particular party.
As Parliamentary Affairs Minister Azam Khan and the Speaker`s requests to BSP members to keep calm had no effect, the chair rushed through the business and the House was adjourned till March 04.
Later, Swami told reporters that Rana`s remarks are indicative of his and his party`s "polluted mentality".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!