UP Assembly adjourned sine die after uproar
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh Assembly was adjourned sine die after day-long uproar that culminated in a prolonged sit-in by the Opposition until late Monday night.
Almost the entire Opposition joined in the sit-in protest that was provoked by the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party`s (BSP) decision to make use of the din in the House to get all the pending Bills passed by voice vote.
The Opposition initially rose up in arms to thwart the ruling party`s bid to rush through an amendment Bill whereby it aimed to bring an end to the ongoing practice of direct election of Mayors.
Tempers ran high as the ruling party chose to ignore loud protests by the Opposition who alleged that BSP`s intent behind the move was to circumvent the democratic process and fuel horse-trading.
Even as the ruling party members and Speaker Sukhdeo Rajhbhar left the House after the adjournment was announced, Opposition members stuck on.
"The Speaker must re-convene the House and all the Bills that were passed in a jiffy, must be tabled afresh," said Ambika Chaudhary, a senior leader of the Samajwadi Party, the largest Opposition group in the House. The Congress and Rashtriya Lok Dal followed course, though Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members dispersed from the House in the evening.
While the Speaker was not available for comment, Assembly Secretary Pradeep Dube told reporters that he was awaiting instructions from the Speaker.
Meanwhile, marshals of the House got the galleries cleared of the media and others.
Unrelenting Opposition members, however remained perched on their seats even after 10.00 pm with no sign of any compromise from either side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!