UP, Bihar improve significantly in Polio eradication
Mumbai: Uttar Pradesh and Bihar have
registered a turn-around in polio incidence, with not a single
Wild Polio Virus Type III case reported in the last one year,
say a body of scientists.
Uttar Pradesh has also not reported any case of Wild
Polio Virus Type I for the past 15 months.
Bihar has not reported any case of Wild Polio Virus Type
III for the last 15 months, and of Type I since September
"So Both the states have done exceedingly well towards
polio eradication," scientists at the Enterovirus Research
Centre (EVRC) of Indian Council for Medical Research here
But the country has to remain cautious in the lead-up to
the high transmission season during the monsoon, said Deepak
Kapur, Chairman, India National Polioplus Committee of Rotary
"We have reached the best situation in the eradication of
poliomyelitis programme and it is important to be cautiously
optimistic and mobilise community information and education
programme from house to house in order to move towards a polio
free country," he said.
Kapur said that UP, Bihar, Maharashtra and West Bengal
were still at risk.
It was also essential to maintain the current high
immunity levels in UP and Bihar, the EVRC scientists said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside
- Wimbledon 2016: Roger Federer aims to end Marcus Willis fairytale