UP, Bihar improve significantly in Polio eradication
Mumbai: Uttar Pradesh and Bihar have
registered a turn-around in polio incidence, with not a single
Wild Polio Virus Type III case reported in the last one year,
say a body of scientists.
Uttar Pradesh has also not reported any case of Wild
Polio Virus Type I for the past 15 months.
Bihar has not reported any case of Wild Polio Virus Type
III for the last 15 months, and of Type I since September
"So Both the states have done exceedingly well towards
polio eradication," scientists at the Enterovirus Research
Centre (EVRC) of Indian Council for Medical Research here
But the country has to remain cautious in the lead-up to
the high transmission season during the monsoon, said Deepak
Kapur, Chairman, India National Polioplus Committee of Rotary
"We have reached the best situation in the eradication of
poliomyelitis programme and it is important to be cautiously
optimistic and mobilise community information and education
programme from house to house in order to move towards a polio
free country," he said.
Kapur said that UP, Bihar, Maharashtra and West Bengal
were still at risk.
It was also essential to maintain the current high
immunity levels in UP and Bihar, the EVRC scientists said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read