UP by-polls: A tough fight for SP in its bastions
Lucknow: With the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections scheduled for 2012, the Samajwadi Party will be testing the electoral mood in two of its strong bastions of Lakhimpur and Nidhauli Kalan, going for by-polls on November 20.
Political observers feel that victory in the two by-elections is essential for the Samajwadi Party to reassert its hold over the electorate, especially in the absence of the ruling BSP which has decided to stay away from the two by-polls.
The demise of the sitting MLAs on both these seats belonging to the Samajwadi Party has necessitated the by-elections and the party hopes to capitalise on the sympathy wave by fielding the family members of the party veterans to retain the seats in the face of adversities.
The party, grappling to regain hold over its Yadav-Muslim
vote-bank after parting ways with former BJP leader Kalyan
Singh, will however be forced to face the challenge of not
only Congress and BJP but also Singh whose Jankranti Party
will also be making its electoral debut from Nidhauli Kalan, a
part of his Etah parliamentary constituency.
The Peace Party of Mohammad Ayub, holding sway among the Muslims, would also give a strong competition to the SP which has entered into the fray in Lakhimpur keeping in mind the sizeable presence of minorities in the constituency.
In Lakhimpur, SP has pinned its hopes on Utkarsha Verma, an MBA-turned-politician, grandson of the party`s three time MLA Kaushal Kishore, while in Nidhauli Kalan it has fielded Amit Gaurav Yadav, son of its late MLA, Anil Kumar Singh.
Though BSP is not directly in the fray, in Lakhimpur it has extended support to independent Rajey Ali Siddiqui making the contest more interesting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- PM Modi lays foundation for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai, Shiv Sena boycotts event