UP Cabinet approves change in elections to local bodies
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh cabinet on Friday
gave its nod to proposed change in elections to municipalities
and local bodies which would not be contested on party lines.
The cabinet meeting presided over by Chief Minister
Mayawati here gave its nod to UP Municipalities (election of
members, corporators, chairmen and mayors) rules for
conducting elections to the urban local bodies, an official
release issued here said.
Before giving its assent to these rules, the
government had invited suggestions and objections from the
public under which eight representations were received by the
Principal Secretary urban development which were taken into
consideration, the release said.
With these rules coming into force the elections of
members, coprporators, chairmen and mayors of urban bodies
would not be contested on party lines, the release said.
It might be mentioned that various political parties
including the BJP and Samajwadi Party had objected the
proposed changes in the elections which they had stated were
against the democratic rights of the people and an attempt to
bulldoze the electoral process.
The opposition parties had alleged that the
govenrment had not invited their objections and had requested
the chief minister to rethink over the decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan