UP chief secretary`s appointment challenged in court
Lucknow: The appointment of senior Indian Administrative Service officer Alok Ranjan as the chief secretary of Uttar Pradesh has been challenged in the Allahabad High Court.
Varanasi resident Prakash Chandra Srivastava in his petition has alleged that Ranjan was named in the Laccfed scam probe and hence his appointment was not in accordance with the standards and probity of the top post of chief secretary.
The Laccfed scam related to release of Rs 40 crore to Labour and Construction Co-operative Federation from the high education department of Uttar Pradesh government for construction and renovation of various school buildings during 2010-2011.
Justice Krishna Murari has admitted the petition and listed it for hearing Thursday.
Advocate General VC Mishra has questioned maintainability of the petition on grounds that the petitioner has not given full details of the charges levelled against the top bureaucrat of the state.
Srivastava had earlier also filed a petition against Ranjan but it was dismissed and he withdrew it.
He has now filed it as a public interest litigation after Alok Ranjan was appointed chief secretary last week. Alok Ranjan succeeded Jawed Usmani as the state`s top official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery