UP civic polls: Over 52% voting recorded in 3rd phase
Lucknow: Around 52.34 per cent voters on Sunday exercised their franchise for the third phase of three-tier urban local body polls in 20 districts of Uttar Pradesh.
Till 5:30 PM, 52.34 per cent votes were polled in 20 districts of the state, official sources said here.
Barring a few stray incidents of stone pelting the elections were by and large peaceful.
Some incidents of stone pelting and clash were reported from Shahjahanpur, Bheem Nagar and Aligarh, sources said. But due to proper security arrangements situation was timely controlled.
The district covered in the third phase included, Muzaffar Nagar, Gautam Buddha Nagar, Panchsheel Nagar, Jyotiba Phule Nagar, Bheem Nagar, Shahjahanpur, Aligarh, Mainpuri, Jalaun, Banda, Kaushambi, Raebareli, Lakhimpur Kheri, Balrampur, Sultanpur, Siddharth Nagar, Mahrajaganj, Mau, Jaunpur and Mirzapur.
Polling was held at 1,955 polling centres for a Municipal corporation, 45 Nagar Palika and 101 Nagar Panchyats on which 15,876 candidates were in fray.
Of these polling centres, 647 were sensitive while 875 were "super sensitive".
The local bodies polls are to be held in four phases of which first phase was held on June 24 and last phase would be held on July 4. The counting would be held on July 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials