UP civic polls: Polling in Lucknow underway
Lucknow: An estimated 49 per cent votes were polled for Lucknow Municipal Corporation and eight Nagar Panchayats in the first round of urban local body elections in Uttar Pradesh which passed off by and large peacefully.
"Till 5PM, 45 per cent votes were polled and it is expected that the poll percentage will be around 49 to 50 per cent as polling continued at places," state Election Commissioner S K Agarwal told reporters.
This is the first major electoral exercise since Samajwadi Party returned to power in the state winning assembly polls 100 days ago.
However, the urban civic body poll is for all practical purposes a direct battle between Congress and BJP as SP is not participating in it and BSP said it would not allow its workers to use party symbol in the contest.
He said polling was by and large peaceful, fair and transparent.
In sporadic incidents of violence, two groups clashed at a polling centre in Telibagh area over alleged booth capturing.
Agarwal said there was a dispute between two groups at Kharika polling centre.
Taking a serious note of the clash, the State Election Commission has ordered suspension of four officers, including a deputy superintendent of police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack